Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Pink for Leelah

There's been a lot of talk on my nail board and Instagram about painting your ring finger pink today. It's supposed to bring attention to the untimely end to a young girl's life due to her gender identity. I don't really want to bring the mood of this post down. But it's a terrible thing to think that parents could make their child feel so badly about themselves that they would see no other option than to end their own life.

I am a parent of three children. My hope is that I am raising them to believe that they could come to me and share their true feelings with me. I can never understand how any parent could be so terrible to the life they helped create. Sigh. I'm sorry.

In memory of Leelah Alcorn, here are my #pinkforleelah nails.

I used Sinful Colors Starfish as my base color. I then watermarbled using China Glaze Giver's Theme and Wet n Wild Clear. I probably should've used something else instead of the clear polish but I was really just experimenting with the watermarble. I then topped off the watermarbled nails with China Glaze Fairy Dust and the ring finger I topped with OPI In True Stefani Fashion.

You probably don't know this yet but I have an unhealthy addiction to glitter.

I think they turned out nicely and I hope they help bring attention to the younger trans community.

No comments:

Post a Comment